Friday, November 21, 2008

CASE STUDY 1

Case Study 1: Amy, age 38, is a worrier. She is restless, irritable and has difficulty concentrating. She worries that she worries so much and isn’t always sure what it is that she is worried about. She can’t let her husband or children leave the house without making them call her regularly to reassure her that they are ok. Her husband is growing weary of her fretting. Her children can’t understand what all the fuss is about. Their impatience with her only makes her worry more.

Amy is diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. According to DSM-IV-TR, Amy finds it difficult to control the worry. The intensity, duration, or frequency of the anxiety and worry is far out of proportion to the actual likelihood or impact of the feared event. The person finds it difficult to keep worrisome thoughts from interfering with attention to tasks at hand and has difficulty stopping the worry. Adults with Generalized Anxiety Disorder often worry about everyday, routine life circumstances such as possible job responsibilities, finances, the health of family members, misfortune to their children, or minor matters.


I suggest a mode of therapy with Amy dealing with her worry and anxiety in more productive ways. It involves challenging irrational worrisome thoughts, learning how to postpone worrying, and learning to accept uncertainty in life. Amy should also talk daily with a psychiatrist until her disoder is gone. I also suggest for Amy to change her lifestyle and start a new program such as yoga or meditation to relax her mind. It will also reduce stress and be good for her health.




Diagnose link

http://www.mindsite.com/dsm_iv/generalized_anxiety_disorder

6 comments:

Joni said...

It must be really hard to live with a mother like that. I believe she should get psychological help. I wonder if a person can just develop this disorder without having any prior experiences that would spark their worrying.

Anonymous said...

The yoga suggestion is a really good idea. Yoga helps release the stress and worry that a person keeps bottled up inside of them.

Jay D. said...

I agree with your diagnosis and the yoga and psychiatrist visits would be very good ways to relieve the stress.

April D. said...

you had good suggestions on how to help Amy deal with the disorder she has such as talking to a psychiatrist and doing yoga which can reduce her stress.

Sarah S. said...

I think that your treatment might work for some people but not for all. Some might require medication; I think you should have included that in your post. Other than that, great diagnosis!

Shelby G. said...

I got this case study too. You did a really good job with the diagnosis and treatments. I also like the yoga suggestion. It would be an easy alternative to medicatins or therapy.