Friday, December 19, 2008

Week 5 / Sleep

I would like to discuss sleep. It is known that sleep and even short naps help memory. It is said in the article "Naps May Help Memory"..Way too little sleep clearly is dangerous, leading to accidents and chronic illnesses.

Perhaps more common than insomnia is fragmented sleep - the easy awakening that comes with aging, or, worse, the sleep apnea that afflicts millions, who quit breathing for 30 seconds or so, continually during the night.

Indeed, scientists increasingly are focusing less on sleep duration and more on the quality of sleep, in studying how sleep helps the brain process memories so they stick. Particularly important is "slow-wave sleep," a period of very deep sleep that comes earlier than better-known REM sleep, or dreaming time.

I think sleep is very important, especially for teens. Since a lot of teens are leading stressful lives, from school and family. A typical teenager does not get 8 hours of sleep. Teenagers usually sleep less than 8 hours. Sleep also help recharge your body and helps you grow and you grow the most when you are usually in your teens. In my opinion, teenagers should sleep more often because sleep does not only improve memory, it also improve your personality, the way you feel and look. New studies show that sleep will also help you lose weight, I don't know that for a fact though. But sleep definitely helps you feel better. Fragmented sleep is the scary part, stop breathing for 30 seconds is still pretty scary.Sleep is essential for life.

11 comments:

ann314 said...

i sooo agree with this article. sleeping is an essential part of life: the eight hours a day part. high school students suffer from too much stress, and they don't get sleep. how utterly cruel!

Nina L. said...

I agree with this article too! I slept 8 hours total for a week once becuase of school, and it was horrible! I was always groggy and couldn't focus.

Kayla said...

I definately agree with this article! It is proven by many different tests that a person who gets more sleep is more successful in everyday life. So therefor, i agree with everything you said.

April D. said...

yeah i know right! i think getting eight hours of sleep a day is very important because it can keep us awake and stay in focus at stuff we're doing. but because of the homework and stress students get from school it's kinda hard to get the eight hours of sleep in.

Andrew L. said...

We should have nappy time at school, because obviously teachers don't want us to have any at home. Too much homework makes us stay up late, and then stress over the next day's tests make our small amount of sleep into a 5 hour worryfest. It's getting to the point that I dream about sleeping...

Amanda E. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda E. said...

Ah sleep. I haven't had that in awhile haha. But yeah I agree that a lack of sleep is effecting our lack of focus in school. Great topic by the way :) I believe everyone can relate to this.

Frankie M. said...

I agree, sleeping does change a lot. When I sleep 8 hours, I find it easier to pay attention in school

Johnathan C said...

SLEEP. I need it. You need it. We all do. 8 hours is a necessity. Maybe we teens would be more successful if we had it.

Justin C. said...

sleep is great, i wish we could have a nap period in school, or that teachers wouldn't always wake us in some of the really easy classes. like English for one. I finished my review on the first day but she still wouldn't let me sleep

Lorenza L. ♥ said...

i should sleep more..

i could be doing better in school if i was not studying all night